IT Veteran with 30 years of experience across a wide range of technical disciplines and pragmatic business practices.
• I can explain complex technical subjects in an engaging and clearly understood manner. Change happens exponentially, yet not all trends bring value. I only recommend technologies and processes with a proven, successful track record.
• I have worked in the manufacturing, distribution, legal, marketing, and medical industries. I focus on finding the best ways to implement technologies and processes which improve workflow and reduce quality-control issues in order to enhance customers’ experiences. Sustained business growth requires customer satisfaction.
• Example: Utilizing business process discovery, analysis, and mapping led to recovering $180,000 in lost annual revenue due to a poorly implemented ERP which failed to charge adequately for oversized shipping. This required coordinating the efforts of 3 independent coding teams located in different states, reporting to different bosses.
IT Consultant (Contractor)
March 2019 – Present
• Architect Active Directory & WAN for 3-location distribution company separating from parent corporation
• Implement multiple Windows Server 2019 servers, NAS, Fortinet firewalls, Sophos endpoint protection for company
• Procure Apple and Dell hardware for 500-person manufacturing firm with locations in several countries
• Deploy Windows 10 laptops to North American staff using KACE imaging tools & FedEx shipping
• Handle a variety of Windows 10 & Exchange 365 Administrator tasks assigned via TOPDesk ticketing software
• Develop business continuity plan including Windows Server 2016 / Windows 10 upgrades for a manufacturing company.
• Desktop and Notebook support for web design agency Andre more support for a law firm
Technical Manager, ES99:
August 2017 – February 2019
• Hire, manage, and mentor team of 7 web developers as well as outsourcing firms and participate in recruitment efforts.
• Project management & technical management for 70 customers’ websites hosted on Ubuntu servers.
• Develop SDLC standards, document procedures, improve server performance, and institute automated backups.
• Implement updates to HTML, CSS, PHP, SSL, WordPress for 150 websites.
IT Consultant (Contractor)
June 2016 – July 2017
• Project manager for comprehensive managed services SalesForce database migration project.
• Developed Learning Management System after commercial products didn’t meet requirements.
• Designed workflow for industrial laser cutter using Visio.
• Troubleshoot network issues for industrial fabrication machines.
• Responsible for 24×7 support and maintenance of Active Directory / Windows Server 2012 (80 servers)
+ Microsoft Exchange 2013 (24 servers, 8000 accounts, 3500 mail lists)
• Worked on project for wireless spectrum auction security and SOX compliance testing
IT Manager, Sundberg America
May 2014 – May 2016
• Manage network, VOIP phones, hardware and software for enterprise with 20 locations across 9 states
• Oversee projects for web and SQL development for Epicor Prophet 21 (ERP)
• Implement Office 365
• Plan restructuring of ERP and network devices to make system stable and redundant
• Implement improvements to reduce costs
• Implemented Veeam backup system for VMWare and NAS for archival data
IT Consultant (Contractor)
October 2012 – May 2014
• Wrote technical articles for websites analyzing various topics.
• Technical consulting including database development, Windows 8.1 implementation, and WordPress migration.
• Helped real estate developer implement Propertyware, VOIP, and Salesforce conversion.
• Manage RedHat Fedora & Ubuntu desktops.
• Troubleshoot mesh Wi-Fi network. Attend Meraki training.
Network Administrator, Cardiology II, PC
November 2011 – September 2012
• Support medical practice, managing Windows Server 2003 & 2008, email accounts, websites, backups, data recovery.
• Migrate all workstations to Windows 7, migrate servers to VMware. Implement Virtualbox & XPMode for Windows 7 pc’s for legacy databases.
• Plan database migration for patient charting, scheduling and billing systems including vendor management.
• Manage IOS devices for doctor and office manager. Install IPCCTV (digital media system, security cameras.
Social Media Guru, Ugly Dog Media
June 2011 – October 2011
• Provided computer & network consulting for startup marketing company.
• Technical writing and editing for VOIP manual. Writer for ITWorld.com and other online resources.
• Train staff in new technologies, trends.
Networking Administrator and DBA, ICUCare, LLC
November 2010 – May 2011
• Managed 10 Windows 2008R2 servers including VMware virtual server hosts on 2 location WAN as well as workstations running XP, Vista and Windows 7.
• Manage TrixBox (Linux-based VOIP PBX), MS Exchange 2007, SQL 2008 R2, Adobe Connect applications.
• DBA functions for MySQL and Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 databases
• Ran security updates, Sophos Antivirus, Adobe Connect videoconferencing server, Cisco & Juniper routers/firewalls, switches, VLANs and wifi networks.
• Manage hosted Windows 2008 R2 servers. Automated unattended processes for backups and SQL replication.
• Support IOS and Android mobile devices.
Senior Windows Networking Consultant, PixelCreek Technologies
July 2008 – August 2010
• Supported 100+ small businesses throughout Michiana area by providing on call IT staffing needs: project management, infrastructure consulting, disaster recovery, wired and wifi networking, and Active Directory / Exchange management, migrated companies to Windows Server 2008 & VMware Free 2.0, Savin & Toshiba MFP installation and support, remote support using Bomgar, Remote Desktop and Apple Remote Desktop, handled backups using Backup Exec & EMC Retrospect.
• Trained staff in OSX and IOS applications.
MIS Manager, Lancaster Health Group
February 2007 – May 2008
• Supported nursing home enterprise including 7 VPN locations and over 250 employees (workstations/laptops) and ~1000 residents.
• Manage network, email, T1 connectivity w/ Cisco routers & VPN through Watchguard firewalls.
• 20+ hardware servers and 10+ virtual servers, oversaw migration from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 Active Directory infrastructure.
• VMware Free implementation and image maintenance.
• Manage help desk with 2 part-time contractors and 1 intern.
• Upgraded Symantec Corporate Antivirus and Backup Exec, NAS, and backup storage. Trained employees in graphics and web applications.
Network Administrator, Rapid Solutions Group
July 2006 – October 2006
• Maintain and upgrade ~60 HP/Compaq servers & 160 workstations and laptops running Windows Server 2003, Server 2000, NT4 Server and Windows XP Pro
• Software supported included Exchange 2003, SQL 2000, Great Plains 8.0, Crystal Reports, Backup Exec, and Cisco IP VPN client as well as Microsoft Office, Acrobat, Visio, Project, Concerto Critical Chain, and AS/400 5250 sessions.
• Troubleshooting network, MITEL telephone system, Bluetooth, Blackberry, WebEx, NetMeeting, and issues using Trackit help desk software.
• Provide 24×7 phone support for Windows and OSX users.
• Worked on OSX Prepress projects.
Systems Administrator, Colborne Corporation
November 2005 – May 2006
• Maintain and upgrade Dell servers running Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium including Exchange 2003, SQL 2000, Symantec Backup Exec 10D, and Symantec Antivirus.
• Workstation support for Windows XP Pro running Microsoft Office, AutoCAD 2D, SolidWorks 3D, and Palm mobile devices.
• Security and firewall auditing using Watchguard Firebox X700 and Cisco 1700 router, including upgrading Wi-Fi security.
• Network infrastructure redesign and implementation distributed applications across multiple Windows 2000 servers.
• Migrated paper forms to Adobe Acrobat Pro.
• Administrator for Intuitive ERP. Siebel Upshot CRM, SalesForce, and QuoteWerks.
• Train staff on digital video and multimedia production.
Networking Consultant & Trainer (Contractor)
September 2001 – October 2005
• Supported SOHO market with network installation/maintenance, including Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 / Exchange 2000 and 802.11b wireless networks.
• Installed & managed Checkpoint and Cisco PIX firewalls.
• Installed Windows XP, Mac OSX, POS systems. Website management using Macromedia Studio MX.
• Also trained members of Computer user group with modern recording & production techniques.
Director of Information Technology, Prudential Preferred Properties
July 2000 – September 2001
• Network administrator supporting 70 staff, 500 realty agents, 7 office WAN/LAN running 15 Windows NT/2000 Dell servers including MS Exchange and IIS, 3Com switches, 7 Cisco routers.
• Handled $100,000 IT budget and service level agreements (SLA’s) with vendors.
• Managed and mentored DBA, webmaster, and contract help.
• Responsible for 24/7 support of network systems including WAN and Telecom equipment.
LAN Systems Integrator. American Bar Association
March 1997 – May 2000
• 3rd level technical support supporting 1000 employees in 3 locations.
• 24/7 maintenance of WAN & LAN connections using Nortel Layer 3 Switches, 65 Compaq NT4 servers, 900 NT4 desktops, 100 Windows 98 laptops, 50 Macintoshes and 2 Sun servers.
• Implemented Microsoft IIS 4.0 intranet and Site Server 3.0 internet.
• Managed projects including Y2k, NT4 training for IT staff, and digital publishing department modernization.
• Junior DBA duties for SQL7.
• Tested Red Hat, Debian Linux and Sun Solaris 10.
Computer and Network Consultant, Electronic Publishing Services
March 1995 – February 1997
• Migrated two domains and 8 servers from Windows NT4 – to – Windows 2000 Advanced Server platform.
• Instituted MS-SQL 7 replication between development and production e-commerce servers. Updated policies for Checkpoint firewall.
• Provided systems design, workflow engineering, and service contract negotiation with customers.
• Handled installation, troubleshooting, data recovery, network design and maintenance for regional client base, including three Fortune 500 companies.
• Offered training and services for the electronic publishing industry including multimedia and web developers.
Computer Systems Coordinator, Ausco, Incorporated
August 1994 – March 1995
• Documented and trained employees to use Sybase System 10 client-server data entry system.
• Developed new business tracking databases for Macintosh in OMNIS 7 and FileMaker Pro.
• Responsible for maintaining PC workstations (MS-DOS, Windows for Workgroups) and administrating Novell NetWare 3.12 LAN with WAN connections for parent company Minet.
Manager of Information Systems. Jack Levy Associates
November 1993 – July 1994
• Designed and implemented over 20 databases to track workflow within and across 6 departments.
• Generated three-year growth plan for IS infrastructure: researched new technologies, negotiated contracts with vendors, set budgets, and created implementation schedules.
• Trained staff in productivity applications as well as troubleshooting techniques.
• Responsible for maintaining and upgrading 120 workstations on cross-platform network (MacOS 8, Apple AUX, DOS + Windows)
Network Consultant and Trainer, Chicago Computer Company
May 1993 – October 1993
• Provided installation, troubleshooting, data recovery, and training for customers in the Chicago Loop.
• Trained staff on Macintosh hardware and software so they could sell the correct products.
• Advised corporate staff regarding Ethernet implementation standards.
Network Consultant and Trainer, Midwest Visual Equipment Company
December 1991 – May 1993
• Provided training and support for Apple’s largest K-12 dealer. Territory covered 3 states.
• Advised technology directors for over 30 school districts on best implementation policy for Macintosh-based multimedia labs.
• Installed ethernet networks in over 40 locations across Chicagoland and northern Indiana.
• Developed courseware in Macintosh basics, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Filemaker, ClarisWorks, Microsoft Works, Aldus Pagemaker, Adobe Photoshop, Quark Xpress, and other programs used for office productivity and graphic arts production.
- University of Notre Dame, Bachelor of Science in Government (International Relations) and Computer Applications (MIS), Earned Dean’s List award, created productivity software training program for students, faculty, and staff.
- Salesforce Administration Training
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure Administration
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Administration
- Querying w/ Transact-SQL
- MS-SQL Database Design
- Windows 2000 MCSE Certification Classes
- Windows NT 4 Certification classes
- Intranets Design & Implementation
- Creating and Managing a Web Server Using IIS 4.0
- Mastering NT
- Nortel Accelar Switch & Router Administration
- Fundamentals of Solaris and Solaris Administration I
- Personal Effectiveness for IS Professionals
- Y2K Crisis Management
- Project Planning and Control
- Training for the Trainer seminar
- Apple Ethernet Certification
- IT Management – 8 years
- IT Budgeting & Procurement – 8 years
- Staff Management and Mentoring – 4 years
- IT Project Management – 20 Years
- Network Architecture & Engineering (Ethernet, WiFi, Routers, Firewalls) – 30 years
- Microsoft Windows Server Administration – 22 years
- Microsoft Exchange / Mail Administration – 20 years
- Microsoft SQL Administration – 10 years
- MySQL database administration – 2 years
- SalesForce Administration – 2 years
- ERP Experience – 2 years
- FileMaker Pro development – 30 years
- Technical Writing – 30 years
- PBX + VOIP Support: Avaya, Meridian, Microsoft, Mitel, Nortel + 8×8, Cisco, Trixbox, Vonage Business – 5 years
- PC & Mac Desktop Support – 33 years
- Mobile Device Support (Android, IOS, Palm) – 12 years
- Microsoft Office / Office 365 – 30 years
- Adobe Creative Suite – 30 years
- Software Training – 10 years